Wednesday, April 21, 2010

We're Practically Famous!

A couple of weeks ago, Michael's sister Britney competed for BYU at the National Collegiate Racquetball Championships. (Woot! Woot! Go Cougs!) She was the CHAMPION in her draw, so that is why we are practically famous by association. :) Here's the link to prove it: http://www.r2sports.com/tourney/drawsOut/drawOut.asp?drawVar=&display=&linkPlayer=&TID=5826&combinedID=37658. Woohoo for Britney! :)
(The Monday before her tourney, Michael and I went and played racquetball for FHE. It is such a fun sport! If you've never tried it, you should! What a blast! I forgot how much I liked it! Here, you can go to the Family Sports Center, or something like that through Parks and Rec. It costs 5 buckeroos per person--kind of spendy--but maybe for a one time thing it would be worth it. If anyone knows any cheaper ones around, let us know.)

Nationals were in Springfield, Missouri, about three hours from St. Louis and Chris and Lisa. Lisa's family was in town, but Chris had a chance to come over to see Britney play and have a fun time with the Ds. They are trying to roll a football across all of their backs. Yeah. A little random. But that's "how we do." (Hehe.)
On their way to Springfield from Kansas City, Michael and his parents stopped at Liberty Jail.
And here's what I was up to while Michael was out. I took my students to the L.A. Museum of the Holocaust. Field Trip! (So, note to self, the Museum of the Holocaust is NOT the same thing as the Museum of Tolerance, and the Museum of Tolerance is the place where they give you a card and at the end of the tour you find out if your person survived the Holocaust or not--more like the D.C. Holocaust Museum. But, this one was still cool and nice to come to.)
My students, Mrs. Sandoval and I were very fortunate--we got to talk to TWO Holocaust survivors, Leah and Gabriela. Gabriela is an artist and has many pieces of metal sculpture artwork at the museum. She explained some of her pieces to my students, which they really enjoyed. She makes a lot of butterflies and she says they symbolize the hope for better, basically. During the war, she was in hiding with her parents and had to be silent for nine months. I cannot even be silent for 9 minutes! Maybe not even 9 seconds! It was very neat to meet her and Leah. Leah was also in hiding, but she was alone. Her parents were exposed by a girl who was dating a Nazi soldier and who lived in the house where they were hiding. They did not survive the Holocaust, but Leah and her sister who was hiding at another house both survived.
This is one of Michael's object lessons for teaching "the boys" (Teacher's Quorum) about temptations. It's supposed to be an iPod.
Just going to throw that out there to dispel any confusion. :)
The mouse trap was set when he taught it, but I think I still have verminsnarephobia from my parents making sure I didn't touch the traps when I was a kid or something. (I'm glad they told me not to touch the traps. Parents, take note. It is better to have verminsnarephobia than to have children with mouse trap fingers--ouch!) Anyway, Michael was setting the trap and teasing me the whole week with them, so I finally got them unset and hid them from him, never to be seen again. Muahahahahaha. :)

And finally, Student Doctor Dre made the Dean's List! We are so excited, and I am so proud of him! Here he is in the new building at his school. (Congrats, hon!)
As my brother Rich told me once, "Racquetball is the only sport where you can be looking at the ball and it can hit you in the back of the head at the same time." Watch the videos to see how true it is. :)


3 comments:

Nora said...

I love your posts. They're so funny! It seems like you guys are always having so much fun. Love it! I loved that class picture at the museum. I seriously had to look for a few minutes before I found you. You totally look like one of the students! I mean...other than the light complexion and blonde hair. : )

Kari said...

Way to go Brittney! p.s. I pretty much bow down to you for teaching middle school, I can barely handle the first graders!

Mary said...

Uncle Paul had me buy some Mouse traps so he can talk to our youth about the Media at a Bishops fireside.