Monday, February 9, 2009

Knock knock. . .

It was more like "Pound! Pound!" really. Here's our exciting story from the weekend, from Michael's point of view.

So, the other night we went out to dinner. We got home and then like 5 minutes later we heard 3 hard bangs on the door. We both looked at each other, kind of confused and kind of scared. We weren't expecting anyone and it was 9:30 on a Friday night, and they were pounding! Then it happened again. By then we were both getting pretty nervous and my adrenaline started flowing. Anita went into the bedroom and got the Maglite (huge flashlight) ready to hit someone, (haha) and I kind of snuck up to the door, not knowing what to expect. Anyway, I looked out the peep hole and the lights were dimmed on our porch floor, when they usually are not (I checked afterwards-that is a clue that I lived I guess). Anyways, I looked out and I couldn’t really see anyone, except out of the corner I could tell that a guy or two were kind of hiding. Yikes.

Anyway, I opened the door a few inches with my shoulder on it in case they barged it. I peek out and then a huge cop kind of jumps in my face from the side and says “are you D***** G***** (the name of the guy they were looking for)?!” I said no. And then a huge sigh, by them and me. I open the door some more and they started asking me, "Is D***** G**** here? Do you know him? Who else is here?" etc. By then I opened the door more and they started just walking in to check it out.

By then Anita realized she didn’t need to charge out with the flashlight so she set in on the ground (out of sight so they didn’t think she was going to try and pound them). Haha. One of them took our names and one kind of inconspicuously (yeah, right) searched our house—he had his tazer hanging from his belt like it was just out and ready to be used. Anyway, there were 7 of them. They had on their San Bernadino County Sheriff jacket and hats. A couple had “prison guard” and “parole officer” on their jackets. They were all huge guys with all the gear--not the “rent a cop guys”. After I initially said that I wasn’t D***** G****, the 2 of them hiding in the corners put their guns away instead of pointed toward the floor and in a ready to go stance. These guys were serious! Apparently, the guy they were looking for had lived in our place before us. They asked how long we were there-“since August”. I am thinking, man, they are 6 months behind this guy. And he must have been a bad dude, to have the stakeout to know right when we got home, and have 7 elite type cops to come. I asked if we needed to watch out or worry about anything and he said, “no, he wont come back or anything”. Yikes.

So they left and you could see the frustration in them, like they were all pumped and ready to go for nothing, like who didn’t do their homework on where this guy is, etc. Anyway, that was crazy. I don’t know if they could tell I wasn’t or was a criminal in the beginning on how nervous I was when I opened the door and saw practically a SWAT team in my face. They were probably suspecting something crazy to happen, too, b/c we didn’t answer for a while and it took 2 or 3 (pounding) knocks. I am just glad I didn’t pee my pants in front of them. Crazy huh.

Yeah, I agree, Michael. It was crazy. I am a pansy. He was on the phone with his dad at the first knock, and I made him answer it because I was so nervous. I'm not sure I didn't pee my pants. Sheesh.

Anyway.... welcome to southern California. :) We were wondering what in the world this guy could've done to have that many cops--REAL cops--come after him like that (they were seriously ready to break down the door and I really think they would've if we hadn't finally opened it), and I told Michael that my students will probably know what he did to earn 7 REAL cops pounding on his door. Ha. :) The sad part is it's true. They would probably know.


This is the view from our balcony (but not today because it is RAINING like CRAZY!)

This is my newest "I'm-bored-I-should-read-but-I-would-rather-do-something-inexpensive-but-kind-of-crafty" project.


Downtown L.A. and headed to Hollywood

On a less stressful note, we got to see "Phantom of the Opera" this weekend on a whim. It was great. On Saturday morning, I was getting CPR certified (I am now certified to save your life... as long as I can reference my trusty manual) and Michael was at PCHAT (a free community clinic). While there, he heard that "Phantom" was "a lot of singing" compared to "Wicked," so I think he was a little concerned. It was a lot of singing, but we still both thought it was pretty cool. (But just between us, we both liked "Wicked" better.) :) Anyway, my favorite line of the night was just after the curtain call at the end, when everyone's clapping and beginning to leave and the curtains have just closed, Michael says, "Wasn't there supposed to be a sword fight in there somewhere?" :) Ha.



Inside the Pantages Lobby
The Pantages chandelier and ceiling


Before "Phantom," we went to L.A.'s Farmer's Market and The Grove (a large high-class outdoor shopping mall in Hollywood, next to the Farmer's Market) and tried French crepes (delicious!!) and New Orleans gumbo for the first time, along with a plate of Chinese. Gumbo is actually really good, contrary to its name. I have looked up "gumbo" before to figure out what in the world it was, but the definition never stuck; I always just kept on thinking of gum or Gumby whenver I heard gumbo, neither of which sound very appetizing to eat. But Gumbo is actually really good; I would describe it as a spicy stew (at least the kind we had was spicy) with anything you can think of thrown in--rice, beef, chicken, shrimp, beans, noodles, whatever. It's all gravy, baby... er, gumbo, that is. Anyway, so we recommend going to the Farmers Market and trying out a couple dishes (minus the Chinese) and then taking a stroll through The Grove. (And you can also stop by The Cheesecake Factory for a slice of cheesecake on your way out. Not that we did, or anything.) :)
This is Gumbo... not gum and not Gumby


You can kind of see "The GROVE" sign in the middle way back there
Just one more thing... if anyone has any good tips on taking pictures at night with a regular point-and-shoot digital camera, we'd gladly accept them. I tried to teach Michael that it's kind of like shooting a gun. You have to make sure you breath. So, when I took this one of him at the Market, I had already tried a bunch that hadn't turned out, so I took a big breath and clicked the button while I was breathing out. Michael teased me, but it worked. :) Well... sort of. So, again, I'll take any pointers. :)


P.S. For everyone, but for Trish, especially, I did the blog tag, but I accidentally got my posts out of whack, so it is a couple posts down, titled "I cheated." Just FYI.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Whoa! Swat team at the Door, I'd not want to answer either. You're brave Michael! I got Uncle Paul to go to the Phantom Movie when it came to WW. We went with 4 other friends who sang through it. I had to explain the plot to him- No sword fights that I remember...

Milton and Christen Crowther and Family said...

Before we moved into our house about 3months previous a swat team had actually caused alot of damage to our home because it was a drug house. So after we moved in we had some very interesting experiences with WEIRD people knocking on our door wanting drugs or the cops looking for people. it is kinda scary. Im just happy that Anita didn't have to defend Michael with the maglight. HAHA

NaDell said...

We defended our little house with Andy's giant Maglite too. Now we've upgraded to a giant wrench.
I'm glad you didn't have to actually defend yourselves though. Good thing you don't look like that guy! Ekk.
Cool adventures. I love that you can just go to the "theater" an a whim. Great. Not the same in the hometown, huh?
I like the wreath.

NaDell said...

Andy says: it's a good thing you let them in before they resorted to the 'slammer'!

Krystal said...

Anita, I love you! Haha. Your whole post is so cute, even the scary parts. I'm glad Michael was home so you didn't have to answer the door. Crazy!

Rosie said...

It looks like you guys are having a fabulous time in California! Your story of the cops had me giggling:)

Jake, Bergan and Brinley Hobbs said...

I'm so glad to see that ya'll had such a great time. The cop story had me giggling as well. Ya'll are hilarious!