Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wing-tipped Baby Booties

When we were expecting Darwin, I really wanted to make him something special. I had in mind a quilt and even had it all figured out how to make a cute one with my lack of quilting know-how, but then we thought he would probably receive several quilts and blankets that were hand made and special already (which he did--thanks, especially Mom, Dad, Angie, Grandma Crowther, Aunt Anne! they are beautiful!). So then I went on a quest to find something else special to make him.

I was thinking of trying to tackle his blessing outfit, but I thought again and instead asked Momma D if we could use the one Michael was blessed in. I was ecstatic when it came from her in the mail and it was EXACTLY what I would've chosen to make for him anyway, and since Michael was blessed in it, too, it was even more special.

photos by Aunt Tami


We so appreciate all the love we've been shown through phone calls, notes and cards, and carefully chosen gifts! Thank you! We've even really appreciated the congratulatory blog comments we've received--thanks!

Darwin had everything he needed. And Mommy was at a loss to figure out something to make him. (Yes, the references to myself in third person are alive and well. :) ) Because, after all, she loves him, too, and wanted him to have something of permanence to remember that by. But what?

Drumroll, please . . .

And trumpeteers, too, please!. :) I am pretty excited about this!

I got to make him wing-tipped baby booties for his blessing! Can I just tell you? I was super excited they turned out as well as they did, because I used a baby bootie pattern that was really simple (the sole of the pattern was pretty much the only piece I used) to design them from scratch. If I had it to do again, there are some things I would change, but overall, I love them! What a snazzy kid! :)

The blessing was wonderful. Michael did a great job. It was so special to have so much family and friends there. (And how appropriate is it that our kid was blessed on Superbowl Sunday?! Go Packers!) Thanks to all who came, and for all the help with the meal afterwards. We had such a great time being with everyone, and packing you like sardines into our apartment! :) We missed those in our family who weren't able to be there and thought of you a lot thoughout the day.

photos by Aunt Tami


We had a taco feast after the blessing at our place. Our friends Tyler and Kathryn had to be in their ward up in Seattle, but they were able to come eat with us. (Kathryn brought this AWESOME bean dip that used cashew cheese THAT SHE MADE HERSELF! How cool is that?! It was goooood.) Kathryn was playing with our little red-headed nephew (Michael's Mini-Me). They were fighting the orcs, the bad guys, AND the dragons together! But, not the good dragons. He was so cute! He warned her to watch out for the two-headed dragons because they breathe fire. So fun! Afterwards, the nephew didn't want to leave because he had had such a wonderful time with Lady Kathryn. His mommy asked, "Did you make a new friend?"

He said matter-of-factly, "Yeah! She's a pretty princess!"

"Oh, buddy! You're making me blush!" replied Lady Kathryn. This little guy knows the way to a girl's heart. He has a super cute grin, too, which helps. I think Darwin's taking pointers. He's starting to show of those gummy chops a lot more lately . . . look for him in J. Crew. Or just in future posts. Whatever. :)


Some fun pics from the weekend

watching Herbie with Nana and Papa

hanging out with Daddy and Grandma


all pooped out after the party was over




the next morning--where IS everybody?! (don't you just love these crazy eyes?) :)


5 comments:

NaDell said...

Cute booties!
I love the googly/crazy eyes! =)

Kathryn M said...

I love that he was blessed in the same outfit that Michael was blessed in! I'm gonna call Tyler's mom and cross my fingers that his is boxed up somewhere. We had so much fun and I'm glad I was able to share the dip with everyone. Being surrounded by so many fun kids and your sweet little guy left me wanting my very own! Now if school would just hurry up....

Tami said...

Those baby booties were PERFECT! And so was the whole day. Little guy still remembers his pretty princess, too. :)

amber w said...

Sunday was such a nice day. The booties were of course fabulous. I think I probably didn't tell you that in person. I did however brag to someone else at the party that you had made them yourself. What fun. Can't wait for you guys to come down again (even though it's a month away still)!

Christy said...

Great shoes. And seriously, Darwin is so out of control cute I laugh out loud every time I look at pictures of him! How do you stand it?!?!