Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Mane Attraction

After a few failed attempts at teaching Darwin to color, we decided it was time to double team him and show him just how much fun it is. We were prepared to avert disaster this time--with two of us, we had a much better chance of preventing him from eating the crayons instead of coloring with them, and I found these double-tipped Super Jumbo crayons that wouldn't frustrate him when he tried to color with the wrong end and nothing happened. I was pretty pleased with my thinking ahead. And so, we opened up the Disney Animals coloring book to Simba's page and each grabbed a color. We offered Darwin a crayon, too, which he used for about a microsecond to actually try to color, and then he decided its purpose was to test Newton's second law (force = mass x acceleration) and hucked it across the room.

For a while, Darwin walked circles around us. Then he got bored and played with his ball (trying to tempt Daddy, I'm sure). :) Then he decided his scheme wasn't working and the only way to get our attention would be to take away the distraction. So, he sat. On Simba. Mid-coloring. In Michael's words, he sat so fast "we had to move our hands out of the way quick so he wouldn't crush them!" (Ha. Like our 19 lb. and change baby could crush anything.)

He definitely got our attention. We put the coloring book and crayons on the shelf and played ball and cars and blocks and chase-you-around-the-ottoman and dance party.

We'll color another day.

3 comments:

Tami said...

They definitely come with a set of preferences, don't they?

Landon and Britney Rowley said...

Maybe's he's like me. I hated coloring with mom and big brothers or sisters for a while because I couldn't stay in the lines and theirs all looked so nice. Maybe your amazing Simba leaves are too intimidating for a one-year-old ;) Haha. You might have to do more scribbling. I mean you've got nothing on his dribbling and dance moves, so it's no wonder he'd rather do that instead.

Mary said...

You can always give him a blank page and let him create!! I can just see him plopping down on the picture. He def got your attention.