Saturday, March 3, 2012

Franciscan Clam Chowder

Every Friday around lunchtime, Michael's day just gets better. Friday is Clam Chowder Day at the hospital and, oh, how delicious it must be! Soup is never his first choice, but he raves about this chowder every Friday without fail. We are actually planning a Friday date to the hospital sometime before rotations are over to pick up some of the mouth-watering grub. Michael says that's just like his grandparents, to go to dinner at the hospital.
One Friday on his way home from work, Michael called to tell me about how good the chowder was that day, but it "wasn't as good as St. Joe's." Since almost all the hospitals he works at are named after a saint, I had to ask him to remind me which hospital he was at today, so I could avoid St. ______'s not-as-delicious clam chowder. We started into clarifying which Saint's hospital was in which city, and suddenly Michael piped in, "I want to be a saint . . . have my own hospital" (with my own awesome clam chowder, he was thinking). Without missing a beat, my autopilot response was, "Honey, you'll never be a saint."
A short pause ensued, I think because he was unsure if I meant because he wasn't righteous enough to be a saint, or if I meant because he wasn't Catholic, and then we both just started laughing. He's still not sure what I meant, and I suppose that's not a bad thing. :)

1 comment:

Tami said...

Good plan. Plead the Fifth. I'm glad you finally got to sample this famous clam chowder that we hear so much about. I've been to intimidated to try making chowder since this came up...