Sunday, October 12, 2008

Our Little Man!

I really wanted to get some sort of skeleton decoration for Halloween, especially because Michael has been studying bones so much, but most of the skeleton things I've seen are pretty pricey and there's no where we would put them. I went meandering into Michael's the other day, though, and they had these little doo-dads for a buck-fifty. The RIP tombstone came already painted for 30 cents. The white paint was 89 cents, and the pack of felt tip markers was a buck. And the foam paint brush was less than a dollar, and reusable, too. So I got to get crafty for my birthday afternoon. Fun times. :) Introducing "our little man." :) (Gotcha.) :)


My birthday cake. I wish I could blame this semi-disaster on Michael, but he really had no part in it. :) I had two round chocolate cakes and I wanted to try something different, so I decided I would stack them way high like they do at Magleby's. Well, the frosting didn't exactly turn out the right consistency, either--still tasted fine, but it is NOT pretty. In fact, I'm pretty embarrassed to show it on here. But I figure, why not give our family and friends a good laugh? :) Anyway, with the frosting being runny and the cake not being a full round, it did not want to stay standing up in 4 layers. This is the result. :) Oops.



Just what I've been up to when I'm not at the school, planning lessons, or grading papers. I don't consider myself an amazing scrapbooker, but I like doing it and I love looking at the pictures when I'm done--or before, for that matter. Michael just finished a week of three (or two and a half) tests. He's doing good with med school, though it is challenging, of course.



Wednesday there was a broadcast about Proposition 8. The Church is asking us, especially young single adults and young married couples, to spread the word about it and to help as much as we can. They want 30 members from each ward in California to give four hours each week from now until election day at call centers, walking (tracting, kind of) door to door to learn of voter preferences, holding signs, etc. Also, there is a website put up by the church about the proposition. It has some really great videos. The broadcast was great. I think even if you don't live in California, if you are trying to learn where you stand on this issue and/or if you're tyring to find a way to compassionately and lovingly explain your position to others, these videos have some great insights. The website is preservingmarriage.org.

Here's the link to the video with Elder Bednar that I really like. It gives valuable information and explanations on the whole situation. I hope you will please check it out. http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/media/mediaplayer.swf?media=http://broadcast.lds.org/newsroom/video/flv/bednar_edit02_150k.flv&type=FLV

2 comments:

Ryan and Julianne said...

OOOOKKKK....I thought by the title "Our Little Man" you were going to post a picture of a sonogram or something along that line! Whoohoo for your skeleton, though!

NaDell said...

Your Halloween decoration is great! It's so smart of you to want to make skeletons though. As long as Michael doesn't examine it and tell you all the things you did wrong, right?
I think your cake looks yummy! Happy belated Birthday!