
Andrew and Michael studying for their big test; the test was the Monday morning after Easter.

My herbs are struggling, but they look cute on the little foldable three-plant stand my parents found for me at the Goodwill! :) Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Good thing cucumbers don't really care if you have a green thumb. The only problem is that once these get big, I have no idea where they are going to grow. . .

Green beans! I hate to thin them, but I know I should. It's just such a bummer to pull something out that actually came up.
I love my little patio garden, even though there's not much to it and I don't know if I'll ever really get to use anything besides "garlic grass" (a grass that sprouts up when you plant a garlic clove and can be used pretty much the same way as garlic, but it's flavor is less intense). My mom laughs, and I don't blame her; when I was growing up, Mom would wake me up early on a Saturday morning, or any day in the summer to go help her pull weeds before the sun came up and made it too hot to do anything. I hated it then. Hate is a strong word, but it's fitting. When I was really small, I built little dams in the water trenches (my mom had water trenches dug all the way down the garden in rows--it was a HUGE garden--and we did that instead of sprinklers, I think). Anyway, I hated weeding. The only joy in it was throwing the old squash over the fence to the cattle. Have you ever seen a cow trying to eat a slippery squash? It's pretty funny. They only have bottom teeth, (I think it's the bottom teeth, anyway... maybe it's the top? Or maybe I'm wrong all together, but anyway...) so they can't really bit into it at all, so they just stand there all day with their heads bent down trying to get into the thing. Somehow they finally succeed, but until then, it's kind of funny to watch. (Please don't turn me in to the cruelty to animals people. It's not my fault they only have bottom teeth.)
No comments:
Post a Comment