Today was our first day teaching our Primary class. Among other exciting happenings, Girl A laid on her stomach on the chair and tried to touch the ground. Girl B exclaimed, "I can see her panties!" To which Girl C felt it an appropriate time to proclaim, "I'm wearing hipsters. They make your hips feel so good!" Also, Girl C deposited her gum in my hands while saying, "Here, will you hold this for me, please?" so she could sing along better in Primary. Brother D herded Boys A and B. And now I know the true inspiration for "Where the Wild Things Are."
Que disastre.
But, they have sweet sides, too. We used a piece of thread to represent a lie and wrapped it once around Girl C's wrists. She could easily break it, but once we wrapped 10 "lies" around her wrists, it was impossible to break. Then we got out the scissors. ("Don't cut me!" she fretted. I must look like someone who is careless with sharp objects--Michael says the same thing when I try to pin boutonnieres for him. I think he might be more justified, though not from me poking him.)
"Who do you think these scissors represent?"
"Jesus, because he can help us get out of our lies and tell the truth." (That was a collective statement, not just one child individually, but I like to think they got the idea.)
And for about 10 blissful seconds, it felt like we had accomplished our mission for the day.
Then we still had 45 minutes left of sharing time, feeling like complete idiots on the front row of Primary, not really knowing for sure how to help them be reverent (as reverent as 5-year-olds can be). This has potential to be the toughest calling we've had yet.
And next week, Girls D and F and Boys C and D might all be there, as well. That's nine 5-year olds. At one time. And this is why I went into secondary education.

2 comments:
My fist time teachign Primary as a newlywed, I had 18 Sunbeams. My CTR 4 class had 6-8 children. now I teach teh 17-18 yr olds and had the combined class with 15-16 yr olds 2 weeks ago ~14 people and not enough pieces of Dove Chocolate with a scripture to read on it. I'll take the whole bag next time, just in case...Getting the CTR's to just sit still for a short lesson, is hard. We tried taking a break to the drinking fountain and RR together so there wasn't the revolving door of children leaving for drinks and Bathroom. Good Luck.
If you run out of material, you can always go back to Lava Monster. I happen to know that five-year-olds really enjoy that one. :)
Post a Comment