Our Christmas letter is finished and my cortisol levels are back to baseline. Personally, I like doing a yearly letter and I love receiving cards and/or letters from others, but a recent Google search for Christmas letter ideas led me to understand that some people don't. One website in particular seemed to be shouting, "I HATE CHRISTMAS LETTERS!" while simultaneously giving suggestions for how to write a good one (rules 1, 3, 6, 7, and 10 were simply "Don't brag") and examples of bad ones. It even has a hall of fame for the most "braggy" Christmas letters ever, to which readers can submit examples from the letters they receive.
After reading some of the "tips" on this rather foreboding site, I wondered if I should even bother doing a Christmas letter at all. If I don't write one, I have no way to mess up, I thought. If I do write one, there's a chance I'll be too braggy, or that I'll offend someone, or that I'll annoy someone, or that it'll be *yawn, yawn* boring. So many things could go wrong!
Thinking of all the horrific possibilities made me want to take a nap. Instead, I went to Tami's kitchen (we had been staying with them the past month) and got some emotional support in the form of a brownie, then sat down to start at it again.
Since the thought of gathering addresses I did not currently have was a little too much for me after this Christmas letter-induced stress, I'm posting it here for anyone who cares to read/view it. You can be the judge of the effectiveness of the brownie. My one request is that you don't turn us in to the Bad Christmas Letters Hall of Fame. :)


5 comments:
Why would you ever read reviews on christmas letters? That just sounds like a sure-fire way to make me self counscious, haha, so I just avoid things like that. I thought it was cute! The picture side looks professional.
I love your Christmas card! The write up was perfect.
I enjoy reading Christmas letters, but when they are a whole page of 10 point font, single spaced, and give too much information, I don't enjoy them as much.
Andy had cousins who wrote about all of their awards and things that made Andy's mom want to write a fake letter about how wonderful her kids were doing in fake alternative school and jail....so I understand the hating the bragging part a little too.
Great pictures!
I like Christmas Letters, Post Cards are nice too! Especially with Pictures! The 4 pagers, NOt so much unless they tell about a very large family! Uncle Paul always leaves ours to me. I think it's his turn and get tired of waiting for him to have time and wax poetic or something like that and just do it. Thanks for putting your Crazy Aunt Mary on your list!
That is one fine looking Christmas card!
I thought your Christmas card was very original! It turned out cute. And I ate the other half of the brownies while writing mine, so I don't believe there should be any guilt in seeking emotional support.
Post a Comment