Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cheap Date in Provo (or anywhere)


(The story is at the bottom; I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to copy and paste it to the top... Hmmm.)






Getting ready for the first run of the night



First run, by Brad





Brad, Nora, and Elly all coming down


Michael's fingers after the hit and run with the ice block. :) (Mike didn't really run.)


The worst part of ice blocking: hiking back up the hill


It was Brad's idea.


Instructor Brad





This one was Mike's idea.



Aww. :)



Aww, again. :)



What an ice block looks like when it's done. We stacked them up so unsuspecting night games players hopefully would not trip over them (Brad had a bad past experience).



A Provo sunset (not exactly how it looked, but hey, I'm not a professional). :)



Friday night was a blast! We went ice blocking in Rock Canyon Park with Brad and Elly, Mike and Nora, and Mark and Tiffany. For anyone who doesn't know, ice blocking requires 1) a block of ice (found near the bagged ice in your local grocery store for around a dollar), 2) a hill (Rock Canyon Park in Provo, Carmichael Hill in Richland--those are the ones I know about, so if you feel so inclined, blog a comment with a hill in your area :) ), 3) a small towel (optional, I suppose, but much more comfortable), and 4) YOU! You climb up the hill, fold the towel on the block, making sure it isn't dragging on the ground, sit on the block, and ROCKET down the hill. It is a kick in the pants (sometimes it feels like that literally, too).


One tip to avoid serious injury is to find a place that does not have anything besides grass at the bottom of the hill. Many of you know about Michael's scar; well, that's where he got it. He was ice blocking as a kid and he ran into some sprinklers at the bottom of the hill and got cut open pretty seriously. This time he didn't get hurt quite so badly, but he and Mike were going down together and Michael started turning the wrong way so he put his hand down to straighten himself out, and Mike's block ran over his fingers. Just small cuts this time, though. Nothing too serious. :) So, go ice blocking sometime soon at a clear-at-the-bottom grassy hill near you!

3 comments:

shaunie said...

Oh, Rock Canyon Park. Haven't been there in a while. We used to go there all the time when we lived in Wymount. I've never done ice-blocking. Don't know how it would work with two toddlers. :) It looks like you had fun though!

Krystal said...

That sounds so fun. I love ice blocking! I might just have to find us a grassy clear-at-the-bottom hill in Texas.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with posting text with pictures. The pictures always go to the top. I found the solution. After you have written everything, just go to the HTML part and cut and paste the text before the code for the pics. That worked for me!