Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How to Get a Midnight Adrenaline Rush

Step 1: Answer your phone when your attending physician calls.
Step 2: Say, "Okay, I'll be there," when she says the patient is dialated to a 5 and it might go fast.
Step 3: Put on lovely green scrubs, kiss your wifey goodbye, and hurry to the hospital.
Step 4: Scrub IN (not "up" or "down"--I stand corrected).
Step 5: Wait.
Step 6: Know what to do when the doc says, "GET READY!"
Step 7: Deliver the baby.
Step 8: Hand baby to mom.
Step 9: Smile.

What a rush.

Michael got called in last night and got to actually deliver the baby this time. It was cool to hear how elated he was about the whole experience. It was the mom's fourth baby, and Michael has seen her in the clinic for the last couple weeks, or so. He didn't know the doctor was going to let him deliver until it was time to deliver, and she was just like, "Okay, get ready." He got down there and thought he was ready, but the doc said, "No, get READY!" and gave some more specific instruction on how to get ready. The baby came, no complications, and he says if he got to do that all the time, OBGYN would be pretty appealing. Kind of makes me excited (in addition to nervous, scared, FRANTIC even) for December.

Here he is at "go time"--the cutest doc on the block. :)

3 comments:

shaunie said...

That is so neat! I have a friend who's hubby is a med-student as well and he delivered their 3rd kid. She thought it was the coolest thing. I enjoyed the photo shoot. I personally don't know what else to do in pregnant belly pictures than laugh.

Maria said...

SO COOL!

Anonymous said...

this is totally AWESOME!!!!!