The lesson was about wise and foolish choices and the attention activity involved Michael wearing a variety of clothing and accessories in the wrong, or foolish way. First, he wore gloves on his ears. The kids laughed and he said, "Is this how you're supposed to wear gloves?" They were quick to correct him. Same story with wearing a hat on his knee and shoes on his hands.
Then we read about the wise man and the foolish man. And then we sang and did the actions to "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man." And then we talked about making wise choices and the kids drew pictures of themselves making wise decisions. At some point in there, Boy A started cracking himself up by quoting Brian Reagan. "Boxen. I have a boxen of donuts." I'm pretty sure he doesn't get it, but it was fun that he was cracking himself up so much.
At the end of class when we were cleaning up, Girl B from last week--what a sweet little girl!--showed Michael her drawing.
"Do you know what it is?" she asked.
"No, what is it?" Michael replied.
"It's the wrong and the right way to wear shoes."
We loved that. She gave us her picture after Primary. :)
Sharing time . . . that was another story.
How are you supposed to keep seven 5-year-olds entertained when it's the Sunday you're practicing reading through the Primary program? We thought about a seating chart, but even that probably wouldn't help much. I think I decided it wouldn't be so bad if they had us on the back row and I couldn't feel all the leaders' eyes boring into the back of my head and thinking, "Why doesn't she DO something?" They are probably not really thinking that--at least, I hope not--but it is kind of embarassing. I understand the theory of putting the "students" who are most likely to lose attention at the front. Michael teased, "Think how I feel! You left me TWO TIMES with them!" (It was to take a couple kids to the bathroom. What is the protocol on that? How often are you supposed to take them? High schoolers can hold it, but I don't know many 5-year-olds that can, and I definitely don't know these ones well enough to know if they can.) Michael did have his hands AND FEET full trying to contain these firey little balls of energy. One of the leaders said we could go home and take a nap afterwards. I hope they don't think we aren't trying our best. I wish I knew what they expected of us more.
One more sweet thing to end on: Girl B is so cute. She came up to me quietly in sharing time and whispered, "I need to go to the bathroom." I said, "Okay," and was about to ask her if she could wait a few minutes when she said, "But I can wait a little bit." So stinkin' cute.

3 comments:
Try not to beat yourself up about it! Certain groups of kids are more rambunctious than others, and since you are still new to them, they're probably trying to see what they can get away with. :) Just relax, set some firm ground rules (maybe the kids don't know what is expected of them either), and allow them some time get their wiggles out. Primary program practice is hard on everyone. You're doing your best, just don't give up!
If you earned your nap, then I think they are all on your side! :) I couldn't be happier than to have teachers like you for my kiddos. Lucky class!
Michael and I taught the sunbeams for 2 years and now we teach the 6 year olds. Try that with a 6month old baby!!! But we do have a lot of fun with them and learn a lot. We are a no treat primary so we can't even bribe them with treats! But we did a "Caught you being good note" that we would send home with 1 to 2 kids each week to their parents about how they were. The other kids would want to get one so everyone behaved better. (We have 9 sometimes 10 kids and that's with 2 classes of 6 year olds.... yeah our primary is HUGE) but now we have moved from that and we are having them earn an ice cream party at our house. That one worked wonders during the primary program! :) Good luck!
Post a Comment