Thursday, July 28, 2011

The "Thought that Counts" Debate

Michael came home from work last night and while I was finishing up dinner and he took care of Darwin, he noticed my daisies that I picked from the side of the road. They grow everywhere here and I think technically they are considered weeds, so I found three still pretty in bloom that no one wanted, and I picked them. Michael said, "I was going to get you flowers today. Shoot. Well, at least you have those ones, and besides, it's the thought that counts, right?"

"I was actually just thinking about that saying, 'It's the thought that counts,'" I said. "That's not true at all. How am I supposed to know what you're thinking? Maybe if you send something to someone and it gets lost in the mail, that's when it's the thought that counts, but otherwise, that's dumb."

Michael's acting-serious-but-deep-down-joking response was, "I don't know. I think it counts for something. I mean, for the thought to occupy my brain . . ." At this, I just started laughing. I knew where he was going. "I mean, if I'm letting the thought of getting you flowers take up space in there and permeate for a certain amount of time, that shoud count for something. This is a valuable brain."

Oh, Michael. :) For the record, he is going to get me flowers this weekend, right, honey? :)
A brain flower. Appropriate, no? :)

4 comments:

Mary said...

HAHAHAHA! Michael! Brain Flowers look very interesting. Uncle Paul planted Roses so I would have them more than once a year. I fed your fish today too does that count?

Jemmett Clan said...

I am TOTALLY with you on this one. I guess if I KNEW he was actually thinking it then maybe that would count for something, but seriously, how can we read their minds. But when I know he was actually thinking it, I'm like why didn't you just do it (or more like get it). Oh well....Pretty funny story. Hopefully he got the hint for this weekend ;)!!!

Kathryn M said...

telepathy, we just aren't there yet. So until we are bring home the flowers!

Tami said...

Definitely don't let him off that easy. Even if it is a sacrifice for his med school brain to think about things like flowers.