Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Crystal Mountain Ski Trip

Mt. Rainier from the top of the Gondola @ Crystal Mountain
The week after the Match was a hard one. We are coming to grips with moving to Florida and all that entails--moving away from family, packing, driving across the country, finding a home, and then living far, far away for four years. Sometimes we feel like it will be good, and other times we struggle with the realization that Darwin will be FIVE when we get back. It's not that he'll be 5, but what we're worried for him to "miss out" on--his loving Nanas and Papas, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. But, it's like I always think to myself right before I get on a roller coaster--"No one has died on this roller coaster, and I am not going to be the exception."

With all these thoughts in mind, we were so glad we got to go to Crystal Mountain with Toe Jam and the kiddos for a skiing weekend! Thanks, you guys! We had such a blast with them and it was so nice to forget about our upcoming roller coaster for a couple days. :)

The first day, Michael skiied with the Toe Jam Fam and Darwin and I played in the snow. We went for a gondola ride to the top of the hill with everyone and saw Mt. Rainier from the top--gorgeous! What a pretty day! And what a good thing that we remembered sunscreen. (Though, I forgot to put it on. Woops.)

The Gang

After a leisurely ride down the gondola, this little guy passed out around lunchtime.
And Daddy has some great helmet hair. :) 

Rippin' it up! Michael skiied really well! He even did a double black diamond (kind of by accident, but hey, it doesn't matter how you got there, right? Just how you finish it!) :) Not too shabby. :)

In good company.
I, on the other hand, do not ski quite as well. But, thanks to some helpful tips from the local ski instructor "J," I made it down in one piece and had fun doing it. :) On the way down the hill once while I was following the older kiddos, the resort's professional photographer, noticing I was the connected adult to the kids, commented, "Wow. They're way better than you." Ha. :) I apologized to the kids for holding them up, but they were so sweet about it. "We are happy as long as we get to ski." Ace was especially thoughtful. It took me three tries to convince the kids that I really did want to see how fast they could go, so I could follow them down and try to keep up. Ace said, "No, you go down first. That way if you drop your poles or lose a ski, we can bring it down to you." They had seen me wipe out quite a few times already, so I'm sure that was why, but Tam made me feel better by blaming Ace's concern on the fact that the kids ski with her. (She's WAY too modest. She's a pro!)

While we were eating lunch in the lodge, the kids decided to go check out the old-ski-lined walls. Lulu found out that the oldest skis there were from the 1920s. After she pointed this out, Ace didn't miss a beat to say, "No wonder Mom never skied!" Cracked me up. :)
The kids waited probably 20 minutes up there in the loft to prank Michael by throwing a blanket on him. Good thing they had back-up ammo. Even though their practice run went perfectly, the first blanket missed. This is the second shot. Nice one, guys. :)
Check out those wicked packing skills. :)

Darwin found a nice dry spot to sit while everyone get their gear off.
Not even Michael can beat this guy's helmet hair. :)

4 comments:

Christy said...

Hilarious. Sorry we never did follow through with our plan to all go for a ski weekend together; I'm sure you ski better than me. Love that last picture of the hair. WOW.

shaunie said...

So I think I know a thing or two about living far from family. It stinks sometimes, but you'll make some of your best friends while living afar. 4 years passes quickly, especially with kids. Darwin will still have an awesome 15 years or so to be near family. :)

Mary said...

We will miss seeing you at the extended family gatherings like New Years, but you can always connect with us on the Blog!

Tami said...

The best part about that hair as that this picture was taken at a restaurant where we went to eat at the end of the day. Talk about a rag-tag group. :) But it was SO MUCH FUN!! SO glad you were with us!