In case you were wondering, pentagons have 5 sides. I found out the hard way--by asking. Ha. :) We were making graham cracker houses at D's and Michael and I decided to make the Pentagon. I was getting out the crackers and asked, "How many sides does a pentagon have? Five? Or eight?" Landon said, "Seven." And everyone laughed. I thought they were only laughing at me and that Landon had given a serious answer, so they laughed even harder when I, embarrassingly, actually took out seven graham crackers. Ha. :)

Darwin really got into the spirit of Christmas--or at least the colors--with his three cute Christmas outfits. You can see, he was also really into his presents. :) (Out cold. Typical Darwin.) His first Christmas was fantastic! He was mesmerized by the tree lights. And he had so many new people to cuddle with and for as long as he wanted to . . . and it showed when he got back home and Mommy and Daddy actually had to put him down--oh, the HORROR! :) He also got to meet Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Crowther!
We had a fun time seeing everyone and just being together. Our nephew rode the rocking horse and played the organ with Grandpa for the first time. Santa Claus came Christmas caroling with us. We both got a few pigeons when we went shooting. We enjoyed the beauty of Snoqualmie Pass and the snow-packed trees. We did get sick with a nasty 24ish-hour flu which was not very fun, but we put on our kitchen towels (to avoid spreading it) and made the best of it. And luckily no one else got sick. Phew.
I think one of my favorite things about Christmas is trying to think of the "perfect gift" and getting to give it. Sometimes what I think is perfect is actually not so great, but this time I think we came up with a SUPER idea! :) We made our neice and nephews superhero capes. Michael designed them and I whipped them up. The kids seemed to really love them and immediately started running around the room to "fly." Our youngest nephew and Darwin both don't quite understand the concept of a superhero yet, but they both got capes, too, and the nephew didn't seem to mind wearing his cape around, so we are chalking the whole thing up as a success. We also got J a shot glass for his eggnog, since he doesn't love it as much as everyone else (it grew on me eventually, or else I'd have gotten a matching glass) and only ever wants just that one sip.
Not to keep going on about gifts, but we got my Dad a CD of the BYU choirs singing Thanksgiving type songs. It looks like it's the new version of the "A Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns" CD and DVD. When I was growing up, Dad and I watched that DVD together on or around Thanksgiving every year and I loved it. My favorites were "Cindy," where the Men's Chorus uses tamborines and busts out with three or four fiddlers, and "How Can I Keep from Singing?" which just has the most beautiful lyrics and message. It's special because much of my testimony has grown through music. It's one conduit to the Spirit. We probably get CDs for my Dad every year practically because he and my Mom brought peace into our home through their music. We don't have tons of the typical traditions, but I think that is one tradition that is special and defining for me.

Michael's family also has musical traditions, including Christmas caroling every year. The day of or before, the girls make loads of goodies and prepare plates for a list of families. The boys are invited to help, too, and anybody can be a taste-tester. This year we weren't there to help with that part, but Britney, Landon, Angie, Mom, and Dad got everything ready to go and we went out caroling together. One lady that lives around the corner waits expectantly every year for us to come. It seems to be one of the highlights of her Christmas. We went a little later than normal this year, so when we showed up she told us how she had cried the night before because she had given up on us coming. Michael looks forward to seeing her each year. She says, "Is that my redhead?" She is so sweet and we all look forward to seeing her at Christmastime. She turned 100 last year (2010)!
This was the first time we have had a "real" Christmas--meaning, no two-week student Christmas, but a 3-day weekend Christmas. It is a lot different, but we still managed to let the good times roll with our families. We really missed seeing our siblings who couldn't be there, though, and hope we get to see you guys soon!


3 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful Christmas. I love the cape idea- I thought of that too, but I'm not so good at the "whipping them up" part. ;) oh well... Michael just has the wrong profession, we always get the 2 week student Christmas break, Brant's the teacher. It's nice. The little guy is only getting cuter!
That pic with Meta is so sweet! And I love the group being swallowed by the wrapping paper. :)
hey you should send me the swimming in the wrapping paper picture :) Good times.
Post a Comment