Thursday, September 1, 2011

Packing List

Michael is a list person, which means that I must become a list person, which is good for me--I forget so much less than I did pre-list. For example, everytime Michael leaves a residence, restaraunt, or the car to walk into a store, he says, "Wallet. Phone. Keys." and checks each pocket that these items should be in, respectively, as he says it. Some may say this is a bit obsessive (as in O.C.D.). It is. But it's actually saved me several times from having to make a trip back up the stairs to grab my phone, or from locking myself out of the car, or from forgetting my license when I needed to drive. So, hurrah for Michael's lists, which have become my lists, which are currently all over our apartment on sticky notes, magnetic Dr. Seuss notepads (yay, Target dollar bins!), and on the fridge whiteboard.

Michael's helpful pocket check list expanded temporarily in the last year to, "Wallet. Phone. Keys. Darwin." But it couldn't last because "I can't add Darwin. It's not a perfect set of three. I'd have to add two more to make it two sets of three."
Totally wasn't kidding about the O.C.D.
Whelp, here is one of those lists that is infiltrating our home. 
Look closely at the different handwriting on the last item. :)
We are packing up for a few months "abroad" (just out of WA), beginning in California where Michael has an audition rotation at Loma Linda for a month. After that, we're not totally sure where we'll be, but I'm sure there will be internet there, wherever it is, so we'll try to fill you in as it happens. :)

Darwin is "helping" to hold the box while I tape.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

Lists are great, especially when you know you will be gone for a while and you need to remember expensive things, especially. Deodorant is everywhere, but the underwear you like best isn't. =) We forgot our toiletry bag once on a trip to Utah. It was packed and ready to go. Luckily we were going to Utah and it wasn't terrible.
Good luck with the internship. The OCD will come in handy when he remembers to pull out the extra cloth that's in someone in surgery. I've listened to the nurses counting and recounting all that stuff before my c-sections.

Landon and Britney Rowley said...

I find that just making the list relieves my stress. Our family is full of basket cases, ha. I'm glad you have such a good packing helper

Mary said...

Oh yeah, Never forget the important stuff like the DH and Baby! They should be 1st on that List. Be safe in your travels,'abroad. Now to go feed the FISHIES...

Tami said...

Aren't babies SO much help in packing? I was very impressed that you made it, girl! Glad you remembered Michael. You just never know if it doesn't go on the list...