Monday, October 10, 2011

Peer Pressure


Though I am a complete scaredy cat about a lot of things (roller coasters, "scary" movies which are not even in the thriller/horror section of Blockbuster, and sometimes, to my brothers' dismay, even spiders and unidentified insects), somehow I again got suckered into going to something "haunted" for Halloween-time this year. I was peer pressured. Michael mentioned it one time to some of the "kids" (YM and YW that we worked with in Cali when we lived there before) and they wouldn't let it die. So, here we are at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights, the T-Rex of all haunted mazes, in line for The Mummy ride after getting soaked on Jurrasic Park. (The rides are your breather time between the 6 haunted mazes.)
In reality, a small part of me--maybe like 1/18th of me--wanted to go because it was really fun last time, so it wasn't all peer pressure that made me do it. And in the end, it was totally worth it to get to go with this group. They were hilarious! I won't mention any names, but certain boys were linked arm-in-arm through each maze with their hoodies covering their faces and fists clenched, and certain boys were in such a hurry to get through and out of the mazes that we had an 8-body pile-up in Alice Cooper's Worst Nightmare (and almost every other maze), but that was what made it so fun! :) I had a love-hate relationship with the street scarers. The chainsaw guys just loved me, and I just hated them. Ha. :) After my initial eye contact with them, I tried to play it cool and just kept walking, chanting my mantra, "Just act normal! Just act normal!" and avoiding looking back. But a few seconds later, when I just couldn't take it anymore, I did look back and THERE they were, less than a foot from me and yanking that devilishly loud chainsaw cord.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

My sole comfort was the sign at the front gate that said, "Don't touch the scareactors; they won't touch you." Phew.

Michael said we had to have a "willing suspension of disbelief," but if I had done that, I would also have had a willing suspension of a heartbeat. So, I still got scared, screamed so hard I lost my voice, and knew that the only thing they could cut me with was their evil stares. We made it out alive and to In-n-Out just in time for a cool down milkshake.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Anita I love reading your stuff. I just love how you word things! You have me laughing every time.

Tami said...

You are so much more brave than I am! Even peer pressure wouldn't get me into a haunted house like that!

Landon and Britney Rowley said...

Man I love Halloween! Sad we couldn't come with you this time. I hear ya on the street scarers, they seemed to just pick me out of the crowd every time. And I don't know, last time do you remember when the guy cornered us and I somehow head butted him to get out, ha. Seems like they get pretty close.